The NBA All-Star Dunk Contest Hits New Low!
2018 All Star Game dunk contest was nothing but a bunch of weak ass dunks.
They were just copied from previous dunkers from Larry Nance and Vince Carter.
I understand this approach was cool in the previous dunk contests, but now it’s just played out.
- Back in the day, when Michael Jordan jumped from the free throw line, and that dunk was copied later, that was ok.
But so many people have done it now, that its nothing but a buzz kill.
The 2018 All Star Game dunk contest had close to no originality. It had dunks that I bet 75% of all NBA players can perform.
Who Won This Horrible Dunk Contest?
Donovan Mitchell was the winner of the 2018 All Star Game dunk contest.
He was great, but compared to Zach Lavine and Aaron Gordon back in 2016, it was nothing but a true disappointment.
- I was under the impression that each year, the dunk contest was supposed to get better and better, and most importantly, more entertaining.
If you agree, the dunk contest from 2016 was the best dunk contest of all time!
You could argue that Zach Lavine and Aaron Gordon had a first dunk contest tie, but someone had to win.
In this case it was Zach. The creativity of this dunk contest should have inspired the future dunk contest competitors to perform dunks that were never done before.
On the other hand, also provide more entertainment than ever before.
All-Star Game New Format And Structure
This was disappointing especially because this years All Star Game has a different format all together.
- There was no East Vs West, its team LeBron VS team Curry.
Everything about this All Star weekend is different this year, and the same should go for the dunk contest.
This did not happen unfortunately.
The word is, that Aaron Gordon and Zach Lavine will be back next year, so that is yet to be seen.
I also believe that the fans are still waiting for one person to enter, and that is LeBron James.
- Now that he is getting older, it probably won’t happen, but the question still stands of why he never entered the dunk contest in the first place.
Victor Oladipo Black Panther Mask
And one last thing to mention, Victor Oladipo put on the black panther mask, and then missed his first dunk.
- That is just plain retarded and made him look dumb as shit.
He also didn’t do a damn thing in the dunk contest, other than put on that stupid ass mask.
He made him and Chadwick Bosemen look dumb as hell. Great job Victor.
Will The All-Star Game Dunk Contests Keep Getting Worse?
One thing is a fact, creativity and athleticism will continue to get better.
Some years will be better than others, but it’s only a matter of time before we see something in the dunk contest that we have never seen before.
Another thing to keep in mind about the dunk contest, is that the most athletic players don’t always participate.
- One of the greatest players that comes to mind of course, is LeBron James.
Why LeBron never entered the dunk contest, I have no freaking idea. It’s probably not because he is scared of losing, or even of injury.
It sounds like LeBron James just never cared for it too much.
Who Are The Greatest Dunk Contest Winners Of All Time
This mainly depends on who you like and what kind of dunks you like.
If asking the entire NBA and hall of famers, they will mostly say the same thing for the most part.
But asking the public has different results. They are listed below and what I think about them.
- Vince Carter – I agree that he is the best dunker of time.
- Julius Erving – Absolutely not nowhere close to being number 2.
- Dominique Wilkins – Power dunker but not impressed with creativity. Was old school so I understand.
- Michael Jordan – I would put the GOAT somewhere between 3-5, maybe lower.
- Blake Griffin – Definitely put this guy in the top 5, but it was a short lived injury free career.
- LeBron James – Definitely top 3 if he wanted to be. Some of the greatest in game dunks ever.
Zach LaVine – NUMBER 1 GREATEST DUNKER OR NUMBER!
- Nate Robinson – highest jumper top 5 most likely, but not dunker.
- Shawn Kemp – monster, but too tall to be greatest ever. He is definitely a in game monster.
- Kobe Bryant – Has not done anything insane like Vince Carter or others have to be remembered.
- Spud Webb – supper high jumper obviously, but not best dunker.
- David Thompson – would not even mention this guy in the top 30.
- Jason Richardson – beast dunker, not good enough to crack top 20.
- Darryl Dawkins – I would definitely say this guy is the best power dunker of all time.
- Dwight Howard – absolutely not, I would not put him in top 100.
- Kenny Walker – I don’t even know who this guy is.
- Gerald Green – actually an amazing dunker, just too much competition.
- Larry Nance – very underrated, but not good enough to show his stuff in game.
- Harold Miner – monster baby Jordan, that had a couple good years, can’t crack the list of best.
- Clyde Drexler – high riser, not creative enough to crack top 20-30.
- Isaiah Rider – crazy power aggressive dunker, would be top 15 for sure.
- Tracy McGrady – too tall to be as creative as the guys today, not enough hop.
- Cedric Ceballos – not a chance in hell, stick to shooting 3’s.
- Amar’e Stoudemire – not a chance, just tall nothing else.
Scottie Pippen – Should not even be in top 500 in all time best dunkers.
- Terence Stansbury – never heard of this guy, must suck.
- Darvin Ham – monster dunker, but old school with not enough game dunks.
- Andre Iguodala – I would not put him in the top 3,000 best NBA dunkers.
- Desmond Mason – Not a chance he cracks top 20, but a great dunker.
- J.R. Smith – when he was younger, great dunker, did not last long enough
- DeAndre Jordan – Just a huge guy with hops, needs more creativity and to win dunk contest.
What Makes Someone The Best Dunker?
In order to be considered the best dunker of all time, or one of the greatest, you need the following.
- Be a winner of the NBA Slam Dunk Contest at least once
- Be a VERY creative and a POWER dunker
- Have many years in the NBA with some of the greatest in game dunks that are remembered
- Be a super high jumper with a crazy vertical jump
The chances are, that you are not one of these people and you’re working a crappy job and will never get paid to dunk!