What Is The Best Calorie Counting Watch?
Calorie counting watches are getting more and more popular every year.
- The technology is advancing and people don’t want to miss out on it so they buy everything that will make their life more comfortable!
Getting a calorie counting watch is ideal for those people who don’t live the fitness lifestyle 24/7.
And perhaps don’t know how to do everything themselves and need some technical support.
If you are one of them, then don’t worry, you will not have to read and trouble your brain by
calculating your calories manually.
- You can now buy one of the calorie counting watches and make everything way more convenient for you.
The Fitbit Flex
The Fitbit Flex is the top selling calorie counting watch on amazon.
This watch is definitely a great choice for someone who is just starting their fitness journey and
wants to make this path more convenient .
Flex does not have some crazy preferences / options, it is rather simple.
- It has only the basic set-up, such as counting the calories spent based on your height, weight,
age, and gender.
It’s so basic that it only has 2 genders to choose from.
I warn you, if you are not male or female, this watch may get you triggered.
It also has a feature of sleep monitoring, and it can help you set a goal and hopefully
- Aside from those few features, there is nothing too fancy about it.
It does have a reputation of being very durable and not easily broken.
If you never had a calorie counting watch, and you are a noob in fitness, The Fitbit Flex is a great choice.
Polar RS300X Running Heath Rate Monitor
The next best thing would be Polar RS300X Running Heath Rate Monitor and Computer.
- This calorie counting watch is not as simple as the previous one.
It will provide you with many interesting features such as the core rate and timing measurement.
The thing is, these features may make you feel a bit confused, but actually, RS300X is known to
be very user-friendly, so do not worry.
It will measure your heart and it is extremely precise!
- The price of it also affordable, it’s not too cheap, but it’s also not too expensive either.
Some of the very popular calorie counting watches are also:
- Garmin Vivofit 2,
- Nike+Fule Band
- SEMisfit Shine
- Timex Men’s Ironman Road Trainer,
- Jawbone UP24,
- Basis Peak,
- X-Doria Kidfit,
- Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor
What Is The Best Watch For Counting Steps?
Step counting watches or also known as pedometers. They are one very helpful tool in your fitness
You don’t have to measure the amount of time you walk, or the distance that you are crossing.
Put one of these on your wrist and the job is done for you.
- I would say the best pedometer that you can buy for yourself is Xiaomi Mi Band 2.
Why it is considered the best one?
It’s because it has all the features that all the smart watches, have but costs less than $100!
Of course, this watch will not only count your steps, but it will do many other things as well.
It will measure your heart rate, tell you how many calories you have burned, and help you with setting your fitness goals.
Popular Step Counting Watches
Other popular step counting watches are also:
- Apple Watch
- Fitbit Charge 2
- Fitbit Alta
- Moto 360
- Polar Loop 2
Are Fitness Watches Accurate? Are Calorie Watches Accurate?
The real question is, are they more accurate than professional fitness equipment that is used in
the best labs for this kind of research.
- And actually, we do have an answer to this because there was an experiment.
The test was conducted in 2016, where subjects were put on different devices.
All the devices counted exactly the same things as the watches, with perfect accuracy.
Subjects walked on treadmills hooked up to a lot of different devices. It was a real sight to be seen.
- There were a lot of cable attached to their bodies, and a tube in their mouths which made some
of them feel uncomfortable.
What was the tube for?
It was for measuring how much calories you actually burn.
That is how your calories leave your body, through your respiratory system.
How Are Calories Burned?
Your body breaks down the energy sources, such as food or your own body fat.
- It eventually throws it out of your body through your lungs.
That is something to keep in mind if you are considering getting a waistband in order to trim the fat from
Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.
The subjects were exposed to many different kinds of tests, and the goal was to find out which devices are the most accurate.
- The watches used in this experiment were Fitbit, Samsung, and Garmin.
They tested them on a group of people and the results were different for each device surprisingly.
As far as counting steps, Fitbit measured steps correctly, but not for every individual.
Some individuals had an error for up to 200 steps using this watch.
- At the end, the accuracy of this watch was 95% correct, which is pretty good right?
The Samsung was 97% accurate, and Garmin was at 98%, which is very impressive.
Accuracy On Distance With Watches
It probably depends on how a person is moving.
20-year-old athlete will move differently than a 90-year-old granny.
In the case of distance, the results were much worse.
- After the subjects ran for 1 mile, the watch showed that they actually ran for 1.2 miles. This is a 20% error, which is pretty significant!
In this case, Samsung was the best and 89% accurate.
Fitbit was at 88% and Garmin ended up being the worse at 87%.
Testing Heart Rate!
The next thing they tested was heart rate. While the lab results were showing a heart rate of 93bpm (beats per minute), Fitbit showed 135bpm.
- This is a huge difference, and this kind of unreliable information can really hinder your progress in training.
While Fitbit was the worse here at only 89% accuracy, Garmin did a little better 94%, and Samsung was the best with 95% accuracy.
This really tells you that you need to be aware of these numbers.
Over time, having a 10% error per day will add up to pounds of body fat that you were expecting to burn.
Testing Accuracy Of Calorie Burning
And the last thing measured was the calories burned, and the results were wildly different in
- Samsung was way off with its calculation, and it was only 58% accurate.
This is very low especially considering its price.
Garmin did a little bit better with 79%, but Fitbit showed very well here being the most accurate
one with amazing 91%!
None of these watches were 100% accurate!
- The question is, can you afford to buy actual lab equipment while training? Probably not, so you are stuck with the watches!
Considering their price and how much space they take, they are definitely a very efficient way to track your fitness progress.
They will motivate you, give you solid feedback and make sure that you stay on track!
How Do I Know How Many Calories I Burned Without A Watch?
Counting your calories is actually not as complicated as it may seem to most people.
- The first thing that you need to do, in order to start tracking your calories properly is calculate
your BMR(basal metabolic rate).
This tells you how many calories does your body burns in arrested state.
Your body is like a car, it runs on what you put inside of it.
Every activity burns calories, and just by being alive your body burns a certain amount of calories as well.
- For example, a 200 lbs man burns about 2,000 calories per day just by staying alive.
Your heart needs to keep pumping, your other organs need to keep functioning, and that all takes energy.
What Are Calories Used For In The Body?
Your body repairs itself constantly. It grows new skin, you breathe, it grows hair, and many other things.
This is all what calories are used for by your body.
Of course, some activities burn more calories than the others, it all depends on the level
- Sprinting is going to burn way more than walking will.
About 100 calories per mile are burned for a 180-pound person, and 65 calories per mile are burned for a 120-pound person.
The speed of that walk does matter, and there are many variables that you must take into consideration.
You can test how much weight you lose if you walk for 20 minutes every day with a certain tempo.
- If you don’t lose any weight, you are now sure that you must increase either your intensity of
the walk, or the time of the walk.
This is how you can track your progress, by trial and error.
It’s not as easy as buying a fitness watch, but you will learn a lot in the process.
You also just may find it interesting to experiment with your own body.