Possums are found to be immune to the venom of most snakes which makes it perfectly safe to eat snakes. The North American Opossum (Didelphis virginiana) is able to survive the bite of the C. atrox (CA) snake. Substantial evidence exists that opossums can pass the disease equine protozoal myeloencephalitis to horses, according to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Can opossums survive snake bites? Please don't kill them! Possums are not creates well known for their over-aggressive nature. Egyptian mongooses may be even more venom-indifferent than opossums, but alas, their protections don’t seem to be transferable. Now, a team of researchers has isolated the peptide from the opossum that makes the animals resistant to snake bites, hoping to use it as a new, inexpensive antivenom in humans. They are wonderful to have in your yard! In most of the cases, the snake will give dry bites unless it feels highly vulnerable. Rapid death is often the outcome. Worldwide, an estimated 421,000 cases of poisonous snake bites and 20,000 deaths from these bites occur yearly, according to the International Society on Toxicology. This damage results in hemorrhaging and the release of secondary toxins from injured tissue. One theory is that they bind to a protein in the snake venom that is toxic to humans and render it ineffective. The first symptom of a pit viper bite is usually pain, followed by redness and swelling within 20 to 30 minutes. Scientists have now explained the striking difference between the chances of a cat and dog surviving a snake bite, and why sometimes no one should let the dogs out. Several laboratories purified proteins from the serum of opossum species and showed these proteins could neutralize various toxic components of cytotoxic snake venoms5–8. But like all wildlife, opossums are better left in nature and not in captivity. The animals are immune to the venom of nearly every type of snake found in … But he doesn’t recommend keeping them as pets: “Keeping animals in captivity really should be left to wildlife professionals at professional zoological institutions with the proper enclosures and enrichment and care, diet, all that stuff that goes along with it.”. They can digest just about anything from small insects, veggies, carrion to fruits. The first bit of research on the topic was done in the 1940s and was followed up again the early 1990s, but current researcher Claire F. Komives from San Jose State University says no one followed up on the studies to create a working antivenom therapy since then. In … And to copperhead and cottonmouth, too. Meanwhile, those raccoons people love so much can be deadly. Among all the external parasites that occupy our yards and gardens, ticks are one of the most dangerous.