Will Doing A Lot Of Pull Ups Build Muscle?
Pull ups build muscle, but that is something that is not a part of everyone’s workout, and it should be!
(NOT LIKE THIS OF COURSE, THAT WON’T BUILD YOUR BICEPS!)
I love it when people walk around with a sub par body, telling people they need to lift heavy to gain muscle. Then they get on the bench press and bang out 6 reps, and think they will grow from that.
That is heavy weight right? A lot of people don’t do pull ups because they think they need to lift heavy.
Well how much heavier do you want to go, because you can’t even do 10 pull ups?
- Same goes with push ups. You can do a ton of them, but how you do them makes all the difference in the world.
How Many Pull Ups Should I Do A Day To Gain Muscle?
One of the best things you can do for your body, is start doing pull ups every damn day, with several different variations and grips.
“There is a 100% chance, you will see more back development than you have seen in a very long time. You should do about 10 sets of pull ups per day to failure. This means as many as you can!”
This is a picture of my back after doing pull ups for a couple of years.
Will just doing push ups build muscle?
Your back won’t look like that unless you start taking that OJ (steroids) if you know what I mean.
- But realistically, you can build great arms and back from doing pull ups. I have done them for years, and in 1 year I saw more results with pull ups than I did for several years of doing random exercises.
It was eye opening. Take the following into consideration.
Do Pull Ups Build Muscle Mass? What is heavy weight?
- Heavy weight is something that you can’t do more than 15 reps with. We can get crazy and start debates, but that is close enough for my point.
So lifting heavy, really means that you should do something that has resistance.
If you can only do 10 pushups, that is lifting heavy!
Pull ups build muscle, and doing them is definitely lifting heavy if you can’t do a lot of them.
You should live on the dam pull up bar! It burns a ton of calories, destroys your back, and you can hit it from every angle. Take a look at all of these variations.
Doing them every day will without question increase the size of your arms and back, period.
You are lifting too heavy!
If you don’t think pull ups build muscle, you are probably jerking random weights and crap to try to get a big back.
- The number one mistake for building muscle is lifting too heavy. Powerlifters as we all know, lift heavy as shit, and do not have aesthetic physiques for the most part.
If you lift really heavy, under six reps, you will get good at one thing.
“That is lifting heavy weight. It will build some muscle, but nowhere near what you would build with higher reps. This is why pull ups are perfect.”
You can work your way up to 10-15 reps, do several sets every day (5-8), and you are on your way to being sexy!
What really builds muscle?
There was a study done in prison in regards to building muscle. This has to be one of my favorite muscle building studies. Why?
- Because prison is the only place where people sleep at the same time, work out for about an hour, and for the most part have the same diet.
Long story short, it was discovered, that 12-15 reps per set builds the most muscle by far.
People are different, and for some, the heavy weight and low reps can work better, but for the majority of planet earth, this gets the growth.
And it was made clear, that pull ups build muscle as well.
Next time you go to the gym, go to the dam pull up bar!
If you can’t do many pull ups, you can do as many as you can (even if 2 or 3), take a long break and do it again.
- You will need longer rest periods to recover your strength, but it is the only you will get better and doing them. In a short amount of time, you will be able to do a lot!
I remember I used to take 4-5 minute breaks, and do nothing but pull ups for an hour or more.
A few months later, I was able to do over 20. Every single person that has a good back, that I have spoken to, told me they do a lot of pull ups. Pull ups build muscle.
If you are skinny as hell, weigh 30 lbs, and can do a million pull ups because your ass is so dam light, please disregard this article, you need to eat and do weighted pull ups.